EU leaders and UK PM condemn Iranian attacks on UAE, call for de‑escalation and reopening of Hormuz

Header Image

European Council President Antonio Costa and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen expressed their full solidarity with the United Arab Emirates following Iranian missile and drone attacks that struck the country on Monday, while calling for de‑escalation and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz.

Costa calls attacks unjustified and unacceptable

Mr Costa said he conveyed his “full solidarity” to UAE President Mohammed bin Zayed and the Emirati people, describing the attacks as “unjustified” and “unacceptable.”

“These violations of sovereignty and international law must stop”, he said, calling on Iran to engage in negotiations to ensure the ceasefire in the Middle East holds.

He added that the European Union would continue working towards “de‑escalation, the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz and a lasting diplomatic solution for regional security.”

Von der Leyen highlights impact on Europe

Ms von der Leyen said the UAE had once again become “the target of violent attacks,” stressing that “these attacks are unacceptable and constitute a clear violation of sovereignty and international law.”

She underlined that “security in the region has direct consequences for Europe,” adding that the EU would continue efforts to put an end to what she described as the “brutal actions of the Iranian regime, both against its neighbours and against its own people.”

Starmer urges diplomacy

UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer also condemned the Iranian attacks on the United Arab Emirates, the first since a ceasefire came into force at the beginning of last month.

“The United Kingdom condemns the drone and missile strikes that targeted the United Arab Emirates,” Mr Starmer said in a statement.

“This escalation must stop. Iran must genuinely engage in negotiations to guarantee that the ceasefire in the Middle East endures and that a lasting diplomatic solution is achieved,” he added.

The UAE said it came under Iranian attack on Monday, the first day of a US military operation aimed at restoring shipping traffic through the Strait of Hormuz.