France Says There Is No Certainty Mines Have Been Placed in Strait of Hormuz

Header Image

Paris says it is preparing for a possible mine-clearing operation, following US media reports of mines in the area.

 

France has no certainty at this stage that mines have been placed in the Strait of Hormuz, Defence Minister Catherine Vautrin said on Wednesday, after US media reports claimed that at least 10 mines had been detected in the area.

“At the moment, I have no certainty on the matter, but in any case we are preparing for the possible need to remove mines,” Vautrin told France Info radio.

She said mine-clearing vessels are being sent to the region as part of a possible future French-British mission, adding that France already has one such vessel at its base in Djibouti.

Source: CNA