'Nothing will be Left' of Iran without Deal with US, says Trump

Header Image

Trump’s latest threats, a drone strike in the UAE and rising oil prices heighten fears of renewed escalation in the region

Donald Trump again threatened on Sunday to destroy Iran, two and a half months after the start of the US‑Israel war against the Islamic Republic, while a drone struck near a nuclear facility in the UAE, developments that pushed oil prices higher early Monday.

“Nothing will be left” of Iran if its government does not quickly reach an agreement with the United States, Trump posted on Truth Social. He warned that “the clock is ticking” and urged Tehran to act fast or face total destruction. He had already made similar threats earlier in April before announcing a ceasefire.

Despite more than a month of truce, prospects for a settlement of the conflict that began on 28 February remain distant, with Trump rejecting Iran’s latest proposal on 10 May as “unacceptable.” As G7 finance ministers meet in Paris, oil prices rose again, with Brent crude exceeding $110 per barrel.

Iran responded with warnings, stating that any new attack would trigger “unprecedented and aggressive” retaliation. Officials also warned that strikes on Iranian oil facilities would lead to counter‑attacks on regional energy infrastructure.

In the Gulf, a drone strike caused a fire near the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE. No injuries or radiation increases were reported, but authorities described it as a dangerous escalation, while Saudi Arabia warned of a threat to regional stability. Two additional drones were intercepted.

The International Atomic Energy Agency expressed concern, while Saudi Arabia said it intercepted three drones coming from Iraqi airspace.

Diplomatic efforts continue, with Pakistan acting as mediator, but Iranian officials criticised the US for making no meaningful concessions. Tehran also accused Washington of demanding strict long‑term limits on its nuclear programme, including reducing operations to a single facility and transferring enriched uranium abroad.

Meanwhile, violence continued in Lebanon despite an extended ceasefire, with Israeli strikes killing seven people, including two children, and Hezbollah firing around 200 projectiles over the weekend.

Source: CNA