Veterinarians Demand Police Escorts Amid Foot-and-Mouth Disease Tensions

Header Image

The Cyprus Veterinary Association says sampling procedures will not continue without police presence after incidents involving threats and violence against veterinary officers.

 

Veterinarians in Cyprus are warning that they may stop carrying out sampling procedures linked to foot-and-mouth disease unless they are accompanied by police, following new incidents of threats and violence in Limassol and Larnaca.

The President of the Cyprus Veterinary Association, Dr Demetris Epaminondas, told CNA that the situation had “derailed”, saying veterinarians would not wait until lives were lost before action was taken. He made clear that sampling would not continue unless police officers were present.

Referring to incidents in Limassol and Larnaca, Dr Epaminondas said both involved physical violence. In the Larnaca case, he said, the person involved had been remanded in custody.

Describing what happened in Limassol, he said the incidents took place during and after a sampling procedure. According to him, individuals entered a livestock unit where the farmer had agreed to the sampling, seized the sample bottles and told the veterinarians to leave “if they wanted their lives”.

In a second incident, he said veterinary officers were blocked in by four double-cab vehicles, had their car keys taken and were prevented from leaving. The same individuals also took the samples, he added.

“This means the situation is escalating,” he said.

Dr Epaminondas said veterinarians would not carry out any further procedures unless the police accompany them. He confirmed that abstaining from foot-and-mouth disease procedures was now under discussion, asking whether authorities had to “wait until we mourn victims” before acting.

He also referred to public threats made in videos posted by livestock farmers, saying he had heard threats that pits opened for animals would be used for veterinarians.

“If this is not a threat of violence, what is?” he said.

He stressed that the procedures could continue only if a strict safety protocol was followed, with police present and properly equipped to prevent violence.

“We will not go anywhere any more without police escort,” he said.

Dr Epaminondas said the practice was already being applied, noting that a colleague due to travel to Pachna for sampling on Friday would first meet police officers before proceeding.

“As long as the protocol is followed, we have no problem continuing. But we cannot risk our lives over this,” he said.

Asked about the possibility of procedures being halted and the impact this could have on the management of foot-and-mouth disease, he was categorical.

“If the threats continue, we will stop doing everything. We want to protect ourselves and do our job. We will not risk the lives of officers. We will not wait for someone to die before measures are taken,” he said.

Source: CNA