Prison guards gathered outside the Justice Ministry on Friday with banners and drums, demanding the termination of disciplinary proceedings against their colleague Giorgos Maltezos and the opening of dialogue over protocols which, they say, are being imposed unilaterally by the prison administration.
The protest was organised by members of the Isotita union, who began a 24-hour strike in the morning. Around 100 people took part in the demonstration, holding banners calling for an independent prison director, an end to what they described as the militarisation of the prisons and immediate action over understaffing. One banner warned that “one prison guard for 70 inmates” amounted to criminal irresponsibility.
Union president Prodromos Christofi told the protesters that the disciplinary action against Maltezos, a press representative of the prison guards’ branch and member of Isotita’s board, was an “orchestrated” attempt to silence those speaking out about conditions inside the prisons.
Christofi said Maltezos had raised concerns over overcrowding, understaffing and drug use inside prison wings, including exposure to crystal methamphetamine. He accused the Justice Minister of dismissing the concerns and distorting Maltezos’ comments, suggesting the minister should work a shift inside the prison wings before judging the situation.
The union is demanding the immediate and final termination of the disciplinary process against Maltezos, respect for medical reports involving prison staff, an end to what it describes as verbal harassment and intimidation, and practical solutions to overcrowding, drugs and staffing shortages.
Christofi also claimed there was an attempt to weaken the Isotita branch inside the prisons, saying Maltezos had been moved to another office after raising complaints in late 2025. He said the union did not want to act as an arm of the state, government or any political party, but to represent workers properly.
Christos Kyriakou, a member of the prison guards’ branch council, criticised the Justice Minister for refusing, as he put it, to listen to frontline staff before implementing new protocols. He said prison guards were not opposed to all the measures, but argued that their views should have been heard before decisions were taken.
Kyriakou warned that the next step could be the closure of the prison. He said the guards were prepared to proceed “at any cost”, even if that meant confrontation with colleagues or police officers.
Prison guard Ioanna Hadjimichael said the protest was also about safety and dignity. Holding a banner reading “Prison guards have a voice too”, she said staff had sent numerous letters to the prison administration and the minister without being heard. She added that prison guards were parents and family members who needed safe conditions in order to carry out their duties properly.


