Evacuation Dispute Over Dangerous Paphos Apartment Building

Header Image

A meeting will be held on Friday to clarify the legal steps needed to enforce an evacuation and use ban on the building, which has been deemed a risk to residents and passers-by.

 

A meeting will be held on Friday morning at the offices of the Paphos District Self-Government Organisation to discuss the implementation of an evacuation and prohibition-of-use order for the Ermaio apartment building in Paphos.

The building, located at the junction of Nikolaou Ellina and Thermopylon streets, has been deemed dangerous for residents, neighbours and members of the public passing through the area, according to Paphos District Self-Government Organisation president Charalambos Pittokopitis.

Pittokopitis said the organisation’s licensing director issued the evacuation and use ban on May 6, under Article 15 of the Streets and Buildings Law. The order has already been posted at the site and published in two newspapers with nationwide circulation.

He added that the Interior Ministry, the Justice Ministry and the Chief of Police had been informed in writing, while police assistance was requested for the enforcement of the order. However, in a letter dated May 19, the Paphos police director said that police assistance would require a court order, rather than only the order issued by the licensing director.

According to Pittokopitis, the legal advisers of the Paphos organisation take the view that no court order is required and that the existing order is sufficient. Friday’s meeting is intended to clarify the legal framework and decide the next steps for enforcement.

Police, the Welfare Office, legal advisers and the acting mayor of Paphos have been invited to attend.