Livestock Farmers Suspend Measures for Five Days as They Await Government Response

Header Image

The group says President Nikos Christodoulides asked for time to review its demands, prompting the suspension of a planned protest at the Rizoelia roundabout.

 

Livestock farmers have suspended planned measures for five days after President Nikos Christodoulides reportedly asked for time to examine their demands, a representative of the group Voice of Livestock Farmers told the Cyprus News Agency on Friday.

Stella Petrou, the group’s representative, said members were satisfied by the President’s response, which she described as decisive in their decision to call off the protest that had been planned at the Rizoelia roundabout.

According to Petrou, the group now expects an official public statement from the government regarding its intention to hold a meeting in the coming days. Until then, she said, farmers will suspend the measures they had decided on and will not meet to consider further action.

Petrou said Christodoulides contacted members of the group late on Thursday, just hours before the planned protest, and asked for five days to review their demands and arrange a meeting with them.

As a gesture of goodwill, she said, the group decided to suspend the mobilisation, even though members had remained determined to proceed with the blockade after a meeting on Thursday afternoon between the group’s president, Neophytos Neophytou, and officials from the Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Development and Environment.

“At last, they took us into account,” Petrou said, expressing satisfaction with the development. She added that complaints filed against some members of the group would not stop their efforts, saying their aim was for the authorities to take their demands seriously.

The Cyprus News Agency understands that officials and senior representatives from the Ministry of Agriculture are expected to take part in the planned meetings between the government and the group.

Farm groups seek swift decision on compensation

Agricultural organisations participating in the advisory committee for the management of foot-and-mouth disease are pressing for the Council of Ministers to approve the compensation amounts proposed by the Ministry of Agriculture as soon as possible.

The figures were announced on Thursday and must be approved so that payments can begin without delay, the General Secretary of the Union of Cypriot Farmers, Panikos Hambas, told the Cyprus News Agency.

Hambas said another important issue was the appointment of officials to assist each affected livestock farmer with the bureaucratic procedures required for the payment of compensation.

He also raised concerns over unmanaged vegetation in areas where grazing has been restricted, warning that rising temperatures in the coming period could increase the risk of fires. He said permission had already been requested for grazing to be allowed in non-infected areas, particularly those near forest edges.

Hambas added that the Veterinary Services should begin ordering the vaccines that will be needed once the rebuilding of livestock herds begins. He said only one company in Germany produces the relevant vaccines.

On the origin of new livestock, Hambas said animals from non-infected areas in Cyprus should also be used, including from Nicosia, Limassol and Paphos, with priority given to breeds that produce milk suitable for halloumi.

Asked about rare fat-tailed animals, Hambas said the request for an exemption from culling remains in place, adding that such exemptions are provided for under EU rules for rare breeds. A response from the authorities is still expected.

Source: CNA