Trump Announces Talks Between Israeli and Lebanese Leaders – “It Will Happen After 34 Years”

Header Image

Israeli armored personnel carriers guard excavators demolishing buildings in the southern Lebanese village of Mais al-Jabal, as seen from the Israeli side of the border, 15 April 2026. EPA/ATEF SAFADI

US President says the two leaders will speak for the first time in decades amid ongoing hostilities.

 

US President Donald Trump announced that the leaders of Israel and Lebanon are set to hold talks on Friday, marking their first direct communication in 34 years.

Trump made the announcement in a new social media post, as cross-border strikes between Israel and Lebanon continue without pause. Lebanon remains outside the two-week ceasefire agreement reached between the United States and Iran.

The news comes on the back of the first direct talks between Israeli and Lebanese ambassadors in more than three decades in Washington earlier this week.

“Trying to get a little breathing room between Israel and Lebanon,” Trump wrote. “It has been a long time since the two leaders have spoken, like 34 years. It will happen tomorrow. Nice!”

The prospect of talks has drawn attention because of their historic nature and the current escalation on the Israel-Lebanon front, with Israeli’s military campaign against Hezbollah resulting in the bombardent of Lebanon, significant encroachment into the country and a large number of casualties.  

According to Israeli media, a ceasefire plan for Lebanon is under consideration. Al Jazeera reports that on Wednesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said he had ordered the military to expand the invasion in southern Lebanon, towards the east.

He said, in parallel with the offensive against Hezbollah, Israel was pursuing negotiations with the Lebanese government to disarm the group and achieve a “sustainable peace” with Lebanon.

Sources: Al Jazeera, cnn.gr